1883 – 1964
Joliet, Illinois
December 28, 1880 at the request of Reverend Gerhard Becker O.F.M. four Sisters arrived from Avilla to begin home nursing.  Shortly after coming to Joliet, an epidemic of typhoid fever broke out in the community and they spent many weary weeks caring for the sick and dying.  In the spring of 1882, a severe type of smallpox swept Joliet and the surrounding areas.  When the epidemic ended, the grateful citizens of Joliet presented the Sisters with $600 to begin a hospital.  The Sisters purchased from the Sisters of Saint Francis of Mary Immaculate their convent located at Broadway and Division Streets for the sum of $9,000.Because a more centrally located Motherhouse was needed for the growing congregation, Mother M. Anastasia requested and was granted permission by the Right Reverend Joseph Dwenger, Bishop of Fort Wayne, Indiana to have the Motherhouse transferred to Joliet Illinois on January 26, 1883.  The Motherhouse remained attached to Saint Joseph Hospital until it was transferred January 20, 1964 to Saint Francis Woods, Mokena. Illinois.